If you have a baby with curly hair, you’re probably looking for the best baby shampoo for curly here. Here, we will go over many non-toxic options for your little one!
My oldest son has curls that come out once we let his hair get past 1-2 inches long. His hair texture is different from my youngest’s hair, so we pay extra attention to caring for his hair.
When it comes to finding the best baby shampoo for curly hair, you want to make sure that you choose a product that is gentle enough for your little one’s scalp and that will not strip away the natural oils that keep their curls looking healthy.
There are a few different things to look for when choosing a baby shampoo for curly hair, and we’ve got a few recommendations that should help you find the perfect one for your child.
Look for a shampoo that is designed to be extra-gentle on the scalp. This will help to prevent irritation and will leave your child’s scalp feeling smooth and soft. This is particularly something to look for if your baby has cradle cap.
Look for a shampoo that contains natural ingredients. These ingredients will help to hydrate the hair and will also help to protect it from damage caused by heat styling tools. When you use a shampoo that contains these ingredients, you’ll notice that your child’s curls will look shinier and healthier than ever before.
If you follow these tips, you should have no problem finding the best baby shampoo for curly hair that will meet your needs and expectations. Take the time to read labels carefully and compare products before making your final purchase. With a little bit of research, you’ll be able to find a product that your child will love and that will keep their curls looking beautiful for years to come.
What to avoid in shampoo for curly hair:
When it comes to your child’s curly hair, there are some ingredients you’ll want to avoid:
- Sulfates: These are harsh cleansing agents that can strip away natural oils, leaving hair feeling dry and brittle.
- Alcohol: This ingredient can also dry out the hair and scalp, leading to frizz and flyaways.
- Fragrance: Many baby shampoos contain added fragrances that can irritate a child’s delicate skin. When possible, choose a fragrance-free option to avoid this issue.
- Silicones: These ingredients can build up on the hair, leading to dull, lifeless curls.
- Salicylic Acid: This ingredient is often found in dandruff shampoos. While it can help to control flakes, it can also strip away natural oils and leave hair feeling dry.
- Parabens: These are synthetic preservatives that can cause skin irritation and disrupt hormones. Choose a paraben-free shampoo to avoid this issue.
- Mineral oil: This ingredient can clog pores and lead to scalp disorders. Choose a mineral oil-free shampoo if you are concerned about this issue.
- Synthetic fragrances: “Fragrance” is a blanket term for over 3,000 various ingredients. While not all of them are harmful per se, it’s better to err on the side of caution when it comes to this ingredient simply because you don’t know what’s actually in the product.
Avoiding harsh chemicals can help maintain your child’s hair.
What to look for in the best baby shampoo for curly hair:
Since you know what not to look for, here are some things to look for:
- Gentle cleansing: You want to make sure that the shampoo you choose will not strip away the natural oils that keep hair looking healthy.
- Moisturizing: Choose a shampoo that contains ingredients like glycerin or coconut oil to help hydrate frizzy hair and prevent frizz.
- Protecting: Look for a shampoo that contains ingredients like quinoa or wheat germ to help protect hair from damage caused by heat styling tools.
Ingredients you’ll want to look for are things like olive oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, vitamin e, mango butter, murumuru butter, plum seed oil, and carrot seed oil to name a few.
Also, aim to pick a product with organic ingredients when possible to limit potential pesticide exposure.
What’s different for different hair types:
If you have a baby with straight hair, you can use pretty much any type of shampoo. If they have other hair issues like a dry scalp, you’ll want to look for products that have natural ingredients that help that.
However, if you have a baby with curly hair, you’ll want to pay extra attention to the ingredients list to make sure that you’re not using a shampoo that will strip away natural oils or cause irritation.
When it comes to choosing the best baby shampoo for curly hair, you’ll want to look for a product that is gentle enough for your little one’s scalp and that will not strip away the natural oils that keep their curls looking healthy. There are a few different things to look for when choosing a baby shampoo for curly hair, and we’ve got a few recommendations that should help you find the perfect fit!
Different types of curls:
There are a few different curl types, and each type will require a different type of care.
Loose curls: These curls are typically not as tight as other types of curls, and they can be more prone to frizz. Look for a shampoo that contains natural moisturizers like glycerin or coconut oil to help keep these locks looking hydrated.
Tight curls: These curls are typically more prone to dryness, so you’ll want to look for a shampoo that contains ingredients like aloe vera or vitamin E to help keep them hydrated. You may also want to consider using a leave-in conditioner or curl cream to help tame frizz and keep these curls looking healthy.
Wavy curls: These curls fall somewhere in between loose and tight curls, so you’ll want to look for a shampoo that contains both cleansing and moisturizing ingredients. Glycerin, coconut oil, and aloe vera are all great options to look for.
Now that you know what to look for in a baby shampoo for curly hair, it’s time to start shopping! Here are a few of our favorite products that we think you and your child will love.
This post may contain affiliate links. GenThirty may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this resource.
10 Best Baby Shampoo For Curly Hair
If you’re looking for the best shampoo for your child’s hair, this list will help you find the right products!
This 2-in-1 shampoo and body wash option for babies is gentle and fragrance-free for sensitive skin. It’s made with natural, plant-based ingredients like blueberry leaf extract for hydration, which is key in curly hair.
It’s gentle on your baby’s scalp. It’s a natural shampoo that is the perfect choice for a tear-free shampoo experience.
2. Attitude Curl Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
Formulated for curly hair, if your little one has dry hair that needs moisture, try this duo!
It brings a dose of hydration while increasing elasticity in hair. It is softening, fortifying, and moisturizing thanks to its plant-based and vegan ingredients.
For babies 6+ months, this shampoo from Under Luna is great for the whole family. It is hydrating and soothing on the scalp while it works to remove any product build-up that might exist from other product use.
It has simple, all-natural ingredients and comes in a glass bottle. This is what we personally use in my household.
Curly Girl Method approved, this formula has amino acids and fatty acids that improve strength and elasticity in curly hair. It is known for its absorbable formula that leaves no build-up!
It’s also designed to be color-safe and water-soluble. If your little one has curly and thick hair that could use help with breakage and split-ends, give it a try!
Evolvh is known for having some of the cleanest ingredients in the haircare market. Recommended for babies 6+ months!
Also, try the Conditioner, Detangler, and WonderBalm from this line. This is a line of adult shampoos, so if you have questions about the ingredients, be sure to double-check with the company and your pediatrician.
Made with primarily organic ingredients, the 3-in-1 bathtime bar is great for cleaning your baby head to toe! It can be used on the smallest of babes and is great for hair and skin.
It cleans effectively while also working to moisturize and hydrate. At $12, it’s worth a try to see if it works well for your baby’s curly hair!
6. Fairy Tales Curly-Q Hydrating Shampoo
Designed for curly hair, Fairy Tales Curly Q Shampoo provides hydration through a primarily plant-based formula. Its ingredients help cleanse hair while Aloe nourishes and Mururmuru butter moisturizes.
This formula does contain “fragrance” which is an undisclosed ingredient. This would not be my first choice.
7. Honest Company Detangler Spray
While not a shampoo, this can help with curly hair if you are using a shampoo not designed for curly-haired babies.
With argan oil, shea butter, jojoba protein, and quinoa extract, a quick spritz of this all over after bath time can make it easier to maintain curls. For best results, use it after every shampoo.
This organic baby shampoo and body wash is made with USDA-certified ingredients, like aloe vera and chamomile, which are gentle on skin and hair. It’s also free of sulfates, silicones, phthalates, artificial fragrances, and dyes.
This one is also tear-free, which can be helpful for bath time! This is one of the best products because of the organic ingredients without harmful chemicals.
This organic baby shampoo and body wash are made with aloe vera, calendula, and chamomile to soothe the scalp and skin. It’s also free of sulfates, parabens, synthetic fragrances, and phthalates.
This set comes with four products that work together to take care of your baby’s curly hair.
The shampoo has a gentle, tear-free formula designed to cleanse with pure shea butter, coconut oil, and honey. It’s designed to nourish coils, curls, waves, and textured hair.
The Conditioner adds moisture back into hair while the Conditioning Detangler works to reduce breakage.
Finally, the Leave-In Conditioner deeply conditions to improve manageability, reduce breakage, and reduce frizz.
In Summary: 10 Best Baby Shampoo For Curly Hair
Hopefully, this list has given you some new products to try for your baby’s hair. As always, consult with your pediatrician if you have any concerns about which products to use on your baby.
It might take some trial and error to find the perfect shampoo. Keep in mind you don’t need to wash your baby’s hair every day. Just once or twice a week with shampoo is more than enough. You can rinse with water in between if you feel like you need to.
What is your favorite baby shampoo for curly hair? Let us know in the comments below!
- 19 Best Minimalist Shoes For Kids and Toddlers [and Barefoot Shoes]
- Best Baby Shoes For Fat Feet (and Wide Feet) 2023
- 12 Best Split Screen Baby Monitors 
- Non-Toxic Baby Pool Options For Kids 
- 20 Best Rocking Chairs and Gliders For a Small Nursery 
- The 20 Best Blackout Curtains For Your Nursery 
- 45+ Affordable Organic Baby Clothing Brands
- Best Baby Carrier For Disney World (Top 7 – 2023)
- 15 Best Baby Carriers For Nursing 
- 10 Best Nursery Chairs For Small Spaces 
- Top 8 Best Non Toxic Baby Swing Options 
- Best Baby Carriers For Plus Size Parents 
- Best Baby Swing for Reflux – 7 Picks 
- 25 Eco Friendly Baby Clothes Brands For Your Baby
- Best Diono Car Seat – 7 Car Seats Compared
- 8 Non-Toxic Couches For a Healthy Living Room
- 6 Best Organic Cotton Crib Sheets 
- 10 Best Baby Shampoo For Curly Hair 
- The 20 Best Blackout Curtains For Your Nursery 
- 10 Best Baby Activity Table Picks (2023)
- 10 Best Cheap Baby Monitor Options 2023
- Best Travel Baby Monitor Picks 
- 9 Best Baby Carriers For Travel
- 8 Best Fans For a Nursery and Baby’s Room 
- 9 Best Bassinet For Breastfeeding – 2023 Picks
- The Best Bassinet For Small Spaces – Top 10 
- 10 Best Baby Shoes For Early Walkers 
- 10 Best Organic Baby Pajamas – Mom Approved
- Non Toxic Sand For Sandbox: 3 Picks
- 20 Best Baby Toys For Airplane Travel
- 11 Best Natural Baby Laundry Detergent Picks
- 20 Best Toddler Toys For Road Trips
- 8 Best Non Toxic Crib Mattress Picks
- Best Organic Nursing Pillow (5 Top Picks)
- 8 Minimalist Winter Shoes For Toddlers (2023)
- 12 Best Stainless Steel Sippy Cup Options For Every Budget
- 8 Best Non Toxic Crib Mattress Picks
- The Best Kids Shoes For Disney 
- 6 Best Organic Toddler Pillow Options 
- 7 Best Baby Travel Bed Options – Ranked By A Traveling Mom
- The 10 Best Toddler Sleep Sacks (2023)