Congratulations on becoming an expecting/new parent! I know you are full of excitement, love, anxiety, and everything in between. There is a lot to prepare for your new bundle of joy. And one of those items is baby laundry detergent.
If you want your newborn to be as healthy and safe as possible, using natural baby detergent is a great product to add to the list. I’ve got all you need to know about choosing the right natural detergent for your baby, and why it’s important. Then at the end I’ll give you some recommendations of the best natural baby detergent so that you can start shopping.
My oldest son had eczema as a baby and the first thing any doctor will tell you is to change your laundry detergent. If even a doctor is telling you to do that, it’s probably a sign that most laundry detergents on the market are toxic.
This post may contain affiliate links. GenThirty may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this resource.
Why Natural Baby Laundry Detergent Is The Best Choice
From burp clothes to onesies, there is a lot of laundry to do when it comes to clothing that babies need. To ensure that your baby’s skin is protected from harsh chemicals it’s best to use a natural detergent. There are numerous benefits when you make the switch to natural baby detergent. Here are some of those benefits that you will love.
- Gentle on Sensitive Skin: Did you know that some detergent residue stays on your clothes after washing and drying? Being that your baby’s skin is sensitive, you don’t want detergent with toxic and harsh chemicals on their clothes. It’s better to be on the safe side and use a natural laundry detergent. This will prevent skin irritation for your baby, as well as the whole family.
- Better For Your Washing Machine: Organic detergent has great benefits for your regular or high-efficiency washing machine. It dissolves quicker, no matter the water temperature, it’s safe for your septic system, and it basically cleans your washing machine for you during the washing cycle.
- Great For Your Clothes: Babies make a lot of big messes. This could easily leave your baby’s clothes with tough stains or faded colors from multiple frequent washes. When you use a detergent that doesn’t have toxic chemicals, this happens less often. Natural detergents are tough on stains, but gentle on clothes. That makes it the perfect solution for your baby’s clothes.
- Safer For The Environment: Another reason you’ll want to put down the regular detergent is to help save the planet. The type of detergent that you use for your loads of laundry ends up going into the soil and water supply. That’s why it is important to choose a detergent with natural ingredients.
As you can see, choosing the right detergent can protect not only your baby, but your entire family and the environment. Keep reading to find out how to determine the best baby detergent for your new baby.
How To Pick The Safest Laundry Detergent For Your Baby
Are you ready to switch to natural baby detergent? We’ll be getting to my recommendations for the best baby detergent soon. First let’s figure out what natural ingredients we should look for in our new detergent, and what ingredients we need to stay away from. This will ensure that you will purchase the safest detergent for your baby.
Natural Ingredients We Love To See
These are the ingredients you want to see on the detergent bottle. As a parent you want to keep your kids away from chemicals as much as possible. To achieve this with your baby’s clothes keep an eye out for these ingredients in your natural detergent:
- Decyl Glucoside
- Subtilisin Enzymes
- Amylase Enzymes
- Lipase Enzymes
- Coconut Acid
- Lactic Acid
- Citric Acid
- Essential Oils
Toxic Ingredients To Watch Out For
Detergents with these toxic ingredients are bad all around. You don’t want something that has these ingredients to touch your baby’s skin.
Did you know that babies’ skin is about 20% thinner from newborn to two years old? That’s definitely skin that you want to take extra care with. If you see any of these ingredients on the back of detergent bottles, walk away.
- 1,4-Dioxane (will not be listed on the label but is a bi-product left behind in ethoxylated ingredients – anything that ends in -eth-” or “-oxynol-” and PEGs)
- Optical Brighteners
11 of the Best Natural Baby Detergent Picks
Now that you know why it’s important to use all natural baby detergent, and what to look for, here are some detergents I recommend.
Kicking off our list of the best natural baby laundry detergent is Truly Free Home. This detergent is non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and biodegradable.
Just because it is a natural detergent, doesn’t mean it skips out on a fresh scent! This detergent uses plant and essential oils to create a great aroma. On their website you’ll find six different laundry products. These include OxyBoost™️, Softening Rinse, and Laundry Machine Cleaner to name a few.
What’s great about this company is their commitment to creating a cleaner world. Their detergent focuses on reusing the bottle by sending a refill pouch that you mix with water. This has helped 11 million single-use plastics from being created. Their detergent has a subscription aspect to it.
First you determine your bundle and then enjoy the savings. You’ll get your first 50-100 loads free plus free products each month. You may have seen this non-toxic detergent in USA Today, or on QVC, and more! Truly Free also gives back by helping children and communities, and by rescuing women that have been in sex trafficking.
This is the laundry detergent I personally use for my family. I love the clean, non-toxic ingredients, commitment to quality, and the reduced impact on the environment.
Earth Breeze has created a unique way to get your clothes clean, they come in the form of Eco Sheets. You can buy these Eco Sheets fragrance free or lightly scented with a fresh scent.
These sheets are cruelty-free, vegan, bleach and dye free, and even gives back to those in need. With each purchase they donate 10 loads to those that need it. You are even able to choose what organization gets the free loads. Another great feature of these Eco Sheets is that they come in biodegradable packaging, so it isn’t hurting the earth and filling landfills.
The mission of this company is to create a more sustainable future by making high quality, low-waste products. Earth Breeze is also big on helping those in need and making a social impact. The company began after seeing how much single-use packaging was being created in the world. They wanted to be part of the solution, not the problem, which is what they have done so far.
I personally like Earth Breeze a touch more than other sheets I have tried. Others don’t always dissolve well in water but I have never had that problem with Earth Breeze. I always tear up a strip and distribute it around the washer before starting the load.
The concentrate that Branch Basics sells is plant and mineral based, fragrance free, biodegradable, and non-GMO, along with other benefits. The bottle is refillable as well so you are saving the planet by using less plastic bottles. Some of the non-toxic ingredients you’ll find on the label are Organic Chamomile, Decyl Glucoside, and Sodium Citrate to name a few.
Branch Basics was founded by Marilee Nelson, her niece Allison Evans, and Allison’s friend Kelly Love. Each of the women have their own stories about how using all natural products impacted their health.
They decided to join forces to share their experiences and knowledge, and then Branch Basics was created. Their mission is to help people create healthy homes and experience the power of pure. They do this through their special concentrate that can be used for many purposes, including laundry detergent.
You’ve got a few options when choosing an ATTITUDE Living detergent. Factors like size and scent may factor into your decision, luckily this company understands that. You can choose from four different sizes, between 35-120 loads.
There are also a few scents you may want to look at. You’ll find scents like pink grapefruit, lavender, and wildflower.Their liquid laundry detergent is free from dyes, optical brighteners or artificial fragrances. Which is great news for you and your baby’s delicate skin.
ATTITUDE Living was founded in the Spring of 2005 by Jean-François Bernier (JF) and Benoît Lord in Montreal. They wanted to create all natural products that were affordable for all. Their mission is to, “inspire families to live healthier, more sustainable lives, with high-quality personal care and household products that are better for the body and our planet.”
They do this by ensuring that their products are ECOLOGO® and PETA Certified, hypoallergenic, vegan and cruelty-free. So you can feel at ease when washing your baby clothes, and anything else you need to add to your laundry load.
Next we have unscented detergent from Rowe Casa Organics. This detergent can last for up to 50 loads, and works with regular and high-efficiency washers. It works hard to clean clothes, while being gentle enough on the fabric, and safe for the whole family. You can purchase it once at a time, or subscribe and save some money, the choice is yours.
The company has over 160 products with natural ingredients. Their goal is to help your family thrive through these products. When you purchase from Rowe Casa Organics you are supporting organizations like the Angel House, Children’s Rescue Initiative, and many different grade schools.
ECOS’s hypoallergenic detergent comes in four different scents (Magnolia & Lily, Lavender, Lemongrass, and Free & Clear). The Magnolia & Lily and Lavender also come in a detergent that has stain-fighting enzymes. What’s great about this detergent is that it softens fabrics, so you don’t need to buy fabric softener.
ECOS was created over 50 years ago by founder Van Vlahakis. He arrived in America with a passion to create safer cleaning products that impact both people and the Earth. He did just that.
Now ECOS is known as the first company that makes carbon-neutral and water-neutral products in facilities that are TRUE Platinum Zero Waste facilities. In 2020 ECOS was named U.S. EPA Safer Choice Partner of the Year for the fourth time by the Environmental Protection Agency.
While most of the detergents I’ve featured so far have been liquid detergent, this next one actually comes in powder form. This detergent is made with plant and earth-based ingredients. The ingredients are peanut free, vegan, and certified cruelty-free. You can choose between unscented and lightly scented, depending on your preference. It’s a great choice to care for the clothes that come into contact with your baby’s sensitive skin.
Molly’s Suds was inspired by and named in memory of the founder’s daughter Molly who was born stillborn. As Molly’s mother researched to figure out how this tragedy possibly happened she learned of some surprising facts about the toxins we unknowingly consume. This is where the creation of Molly’s Suds came in.
Their mission is to use the purest of ingredients to formulate products without carcinogens or known human toxins. They have done just that with the products that they offer. These products are safe for baby and the rest of the family as well.
This next company makes non-toxic detergent laundry pods, a first of its kind in the laundry industry. Being innovative is only one of their values that they promise to customers. They also stand by the fact that their products are effective, eco-responsible, and healthier.
Their baby detergent pods come in both fragrance free and chamomile options and each pack lasts for 30 loads. This detergent targets baby messes, like breast milk stains and spit up situations. It can also handle cloth diapers with ease. It’s the perfect quick solution for busy moms. Just throw the detergent pods in the washer and go about your day.
Grab Green started the way many of these companies have started, with a concerned parent wanting better choices for their family, then sharing it with the world. The company was founded by Patricia Spencer and Michael Edell. Together they created a line of products that would change the game in the laundry room, kitchen, and more.
Next up on the list of the best baby laundry detergents is the Free & Clear liquid detergent from Biokleen. This ultra-concentrated formula is made from plant-derived cleaning agents and is hypoallergenic. It’s tough on stains, while at the same time being a gentle detergent, so it won’t cause any allergic reaction on babies’ skin. The three-times concentrated formula is made in America and is made to reduce packaging, waste and energy.
Biokleen was originally intended for commercial cleaning, but made the addition of household products soon after. Their products are free of phosphates, chlorine, ammonia, alcohol, butyl, glycol ether, brighteners, artificial colors, and artificial fragrance.
Sustainability is also important to Biokleen. By having small differences, like smaller bottles and using cold water in manufacturing, the company is playing their part in creating a better, healthier world.
Puracy’s laundry detergent is a free & clear formula, which means it’s safe for skin sensitivities and works great for your baby’s clothes. The detergent is formulated with 99.96% plant-based ingredients. This will give you peace of mind that it’s truly toxic-free and safe for your family and the environment. Some other features of this product is that it is hypoallergenic, vegan, gluten-free, and biodegradable.
Puracy was created by two best friends with a common goal – “to make effective, plant-based cleaning and personal care products that were gentle enough to use around their newborn daughters.” They set out to find a solution that would be safe and effective, something most natural cleaning companies seemed to lack.
Not only did they find a solution, they created something that would go on to win many awards and sell more than eight million bottles. The company stands behind the fact that there is never more than 1.5% of synthetic ingredients in their product formulas.
We’ve reached the last company on our list of best natural baby detergents. Last, but not least is the Laundry Eco-Strips from Tru Earth. This unique product is ultra-concentrated, hypoallergenic, and eco-friendly. The ease of use couldn’t be better, you simply just toss a strip into the wash.
It doesn’t matter the kind of washer you have or water temperature you use. These powerful strips work in it all – even hand washing. The Eco-Strips come in compostable packaging, so you don’t have to worry about adding to the landfill. Their specific baby detergent comes in 32 or 64 loads sizes and is fragrance free.
This company was born out of a father’s frustration with how much plastic waste was featured in the shows his kids watched. This led to a conversation with a friend and a connection with a new kind of laundry detergent patent. Tru Earth was then created by the three men (Ryan McKenzie, Brad Liski, and Kevin Hinton). Within their first year they impacted 60,000 people in 40 countries with their one-of-a-kind products.
In Summary: Natural Baby Laundry Detergents
As you can see, there are a significant number of baby-safe laundry detergents available n the market. My top picks are Truly Free Home (I get this every month) and Earth Breeze Eco Strips (I bring these with us when traveling).
Making the swap to a non-toxic laundry detergent is one of the easiest and most impactful swaps you can make. And if you have a baby or young child, it’s all the more important.
Will you be switching to one of these detergent brands? If so, which one? Let me know in the comments.
More Helpful Guides:
Baby and Toddler
- 19 Best Minimalist Shoes For Kids and Toddlers [and Barefoot Shoes]
- Best Baby Shoes For Fat Feet (and Wide Feet) 2023
- 45+ Affordable Organic Baby Clothing Brands
- 25 Eco Friendly Baby Clothes Brands For Your Baby
- 10 Best Baby Shampoo For Curly Hair 
- 9 Best Pacifiers For a Breastfed Baby
- 10 Best Baby Shoes For Early Walkers 
- 10 Best Organic Baby Pajamas – Mom Approved
- Non Toxic Sand For Sandbox: 3 Picks
- 8 Minimalist Winter Shoes For Toddlers (2023)
- 12 Best Stainless Steel Sippy Cup Options For Every Budget
- Best Organic Toddler Pillow Options 
- The 10 Best Toddler Sleep Sacks (2023)
- 12 Infant and Toddler Large Motor Activities
- 25 Water Toys for Kids
- 8 Best Organic Vitamins For Kids
- Lovevery Block Set Review: Is It Worth It?
- Best Non Toxic Baby Sunscreen – 6 Picks (Tested 2023)
- 5 Best Non-Toxic Nail Polish For Toddlers (2023 Picks Tested)
- Top 7 Best Organic Baby Cereal Picks (2023)
Home and Nursery
- 12 Best Split Screen Baby Monitors 
- Non-Toxic Baby Pool Options For Kids 
- 20 Best Rocking Chairs and Gliders For a Small Nursery 
- The 20 Best Blackout Curtains For Your Nursery 
- 10 Best Nursery Chairs For Small Spaces 
- Top 8 Best Non Toxic Baby Swing Options 
- Best Baby Swing for Reflux – 7 Picks 
- 6 Best Organic Cotton Crib Sheets 
- 8 Non-Toxic Couches For a Healthy Living Room
- The 20 Best Blackout Curtains For Your Nursery 
- 10 Best Baby Activity Table Picks (2023)
- 9 Best Baby Play Gym Picks (2023)
- 7 Best Baby Bath Seat Picks (2023)
- 10 Best Cheap Baby Monitor Options 2023
- 8 Best Fans For a Nursery and Baby’s Room 
- 9 Best Bassinet For Breastfeeding – 2023 Picks
- The Best Bassinet For Small Spaces – Top 10 
- 11 Best Natural Baby Laundry Detergent Picks
- 8 Best Non Toxic Crib Mattress Picks
- Best Organic Nursing Pillow (5 Top Picks)
- 8 Best Non Toxic Crib Mattress Picks
- 9 Top Bathtub for Toddlers Picks (2023)
- 7 Best Non Toxic Crib Options 2023
- 15 Best Baby Carriers For Nursing 
- Best Baby Carriers For Plus Size Parents 
- 7 Best Cameras For Sports Moms (2023)
- 10 Best Blenders For Pureeing Food
- Best Baby Carrier For Disney World (Top 7 – 2023)
- Best Diono Car Seat – 7 Car Seats Compared
- 9 Best Toddler Hiking Boots 2023
- Best Travel Baby Monitor Picks 
- 9 Best Baby Carriers For Travel
- 20 Best Baby Toys For Airplane Travel
- 20 Best Toddler Toys For Road Trips
- The Best Kids Shoes For Disney 
- 7 Best Baby Travel Bed Options – Ranked By A Traveling Mom
- 6 Best Toddler Headphones for a Plane Ride (2023)